Thursday, November 1, 2007

Hanford, Not Hampton and Making "Ducks Work"

Thanks Jack. In his comment on my Oct 31 post my older brother, Jack, points out it was "Hanford" not "Hampton" He is right. I did a google search to check it out. They were still building it. I don't know why I have always remembered it as Hampton. I remember it wasn't supposed to be talked about.

I had visions of little ducks being forced to slave away at whatever you can make a duck do. Mom told me they were metal ducts and he made them out of metal. Then I thought he was making toy ducks and wanted him to bring me one to play with. When I was seven years old we moved to a house with a basement. One time when I talked about Dad making "ducks work", he spelled out the two words and took me down in the basement and showed me the very little bit of "duct work" that was down there. I was relieved he wasn't making "ducks work".

And Jack, your sixty year old mind still thinks I'm an idiot half the time.

PS This post has been amended to correct a spelling error. While I'm amending I would like to point out that back then I had never heard of television and hadn't been to a movie yet. My ideas of making people work came from bible story books Mom read to us. Some had wonderful pictures. So I had visions of long lines of ducks chained together like the pictures of the children of Israel before Moses lead them out of Egypt.

5 comments:

blog648 said...

What a hilarious story!

Okay, not to make too fine a point on this, but it's Hanford with and "n", not an "m".

The Bleazard farm is across the river about a mile or so from Hanford. Maybe a little further, but I was surprised to find out how close it was.

And it's amazing how little was ever said about the place locally. It was like the backbone of the local economy, but no one talked about the place much, except that that's where a lot of people worked.

And no, I don't think you're an idiot half the time. Hee, hee.

Linda Lou said...

I never could spell worth a darn. The next post is going to be about what I think about spelling.

I'm glad you like the making ducks work story.

Dona said...

Loved your post but I think that for the purposes of the story about pigs being fattened for slaughter that you should go with
"Ham"ford.

Christian said...

You mean it's "duct tape" not "duck tape."

blog648 said...

That's right Chris. What, you didn't know that? Didn't they teach you that in high school? I'm shocked. ;)